Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 13:56:43 +0800
From:      Chen Hsiung Chan <frankch@waru.life.nthu.edu.tw>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   i18n - what I can do for it?

    I found there're some interesing discussions about i18n on
    this list, so I subscribe to it.

    I have done some minor hack to libc(xpg4 part) to make it
    support big5, the encoding widely used in Taiwan and HongKong.
    The patches are located:
        http://waru.life.nthu.edu.tw/~frankch/locale/
    These patches are toward some version between 2.2.5 and 2.2.6,
    so they might not applied cleanly to other systems.

    I am not sure about the way it is done. In fact big5 is not a
    good encoding (not conform to ISO-2022), but I can not get rid
    of it (it is the de facto standard in Taiwan now).

--
Chen-Hsiung Chan [¸âÂíºµ](BIG5)
Department of Life Science      http://waru.life.nthu.edu.tw/~frankch/