Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:51:28 +0600
From:      Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

Gary Kline wrote:

> ? I would prefer going to a full-on Unicode implementation to support
> ? all known human languages.
> ?
>
>                 This was my first leaning, but I'm increasingly
>                 going toward the ISO families.

What do you mean by ISO families? ISO 8859? ISO 2022?  ISO 10646?
Which of them?

> ? The next hardest step is the editors, starting with "vi".  They have
> ? to be able to support Unicode.
>

>                 nvi/nex already have been tweaked for 8-bit international
>                 support.  I learned this accidently.  WAs quite
>                 surprised to see messages in French and German.  :-)

It's not internationalization. It's just localization. And generally,
it's much easier to be done.

>                 Nonetheless, I see why you like the Unicode solution.
>                 Someone said, ``Well, French support is great, but how
>                 are you going to handle Japanese?''

And how are you going to handle both (+ Russian, for example :-)
This certainly requires either one flat character set like ISO 10646
(at least its Plane 0) or ESC-switched one like ISO 2022.

> ?
> ? I have had FS-based Unicode support working for a very long time,
> ? though it has failed to be committed.  One big issue is that directory
> ? entry blocks must grow from 512b to 1k.  This has a number of
> ? implications to the soft updates work currently in progress.  This is
> ? because, in order to support a maximally sized path component, 512 + 24
> ? bytes is needed for unicaode, as opposed to 256 + 24 (which fits in 512b)
> ? for an 8 bit charaacter set.
>
>                 :-( !
>
>                 How does the ISO2022 model work here?  Isn't it the
>                 same for Japanese and Chinese?

ISO 2022 is just a mechanism of containing a number of subsets
in one character set (switching between subsets with predefined
ESC-sequences).

--
	Konstantin V. Chuguev.		System administrator of Southern
	http://www.urc.ac.ru/~joy/	Ural Regional Center of FREEnet,