Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 12:14:40 +0600
From:      Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
To:        Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh wrote:

> ?? I would prefer going to a full-on Unicode implementation to support
> ?? all known human languages.
> ?               This was my first leaning, but I'm increasingly
> ?               going toward the ISO families.
>
>         Yes, iso-2022 families are quite important for supporting
>         asian languages.  Unicode is, for us Japanese, quite incomplete and
>         unexpandable.

Do you mean Unicode does not cover all the CJK characters?
What is "unexpandable"?

> ?               How does the ISO2022 model work here?  Isn't it the
> ?               same for Japanese and Chinese?
>
>         Yes, for Japanese, Chinese and Korean iso-2022 based model (euc-xx
>         falls into the category) is really important.  However, I

Why not to support both ISO 2022 and Unicode? Yes, it is more difficult
implement. But otherwise we can lose compatibility with other systems.

>         believe that filenames must be kept in C locale for simplicity...

IMO, any ASCII-compatible multibyte charset will do. In that case,
if you prefer simplicity, just do not use characters with highest bit
set.

--
	Konstantin V. Chuguev.		System administrator of Southern
	http://www.urc.ac.ru/~joy/	Ural Regional Center of FREEnet,