Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:18:03 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james-freebsd-current@jrv.org>
Subject:   Re: Pack of CAM improvements

Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> I've just added Power Up In Stand-by (PUIS) feature support into CAM
> ATA in HEAD.  It is one of the ways to implement staggered spin-up for
> ATA devices.  Now CAM will spin-up no more then 4 of such devices at a
> time.

Hmm, how does that work?  Doesn't the BIOS spin the disks up long before
the kernel even loads?  Can you set a flag on the disk to tell it not
to?

This is a very real issue for me.  I have a file server that can't cold
boot because the disks take too long to spin up and / or the PSU can't
deliver enough power to spin them all up at the same time.  I would love
to be able to delay spinning up each disk until it's actually needed
(i.e. /etc/rc.d/zfs start).

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no