Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 11:25:12 -0400
From:      Jonathan Chen <jon@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Martin Dieringer <dieringe@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: re-insertion panic

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 02:50:36PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 17-Aug-01 Martin Dieringer wrote:
> >

> > hi.
> > after I finally switched on PCIIRQ on my Thinkpad (600x) and thus
> > made my 3com 575bt card work with a -current
> > NEWCARD kernel, there is the following problem:
> > To suspend the laptop I have to take the card out,
> > on reinsertion following two messages keep on running through the
> > screen:
> >
> > /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_synch.c:377
> > sleeping with "xl0" locked from /usr/src/sys/pci/if_xl.c:1246
> > /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_synch.c:377
> > sleeping with "pccbb1" locked from /usr/src/sys/dev/pccbb/pccbb.c:643
>
> Ugh, both these locks need to be disabled for the time being.

I'm not too familiar with the locking architecture on FreeBSD, so this is
probably my fault...  I've been meaning to take a look ainto this for some
time now, but something more pressing always manages to come up everytime I
have some free time...

Since I don't know too much about the way mutexes are done on freebsd, I
would really appreciate it if somebody could hand me a definitive guide
on mutex and locking on FreeBSD, or point out what I should be looking at
in the source... Or better yet, look through dec/pccbb and tell me what I
did wrong and how to fix it...

As far as the suspend problem, I can't seem to reproduce it on my laptop
(IBM 600E), otherwise I'd try to hunt it down.  I don't know, but computer
problems seem to have a way of resolving themselves automagically whenever
I am in the general vicinity...

-Jon