Date:      11 Jun 1998 15:43:06 +0900
From:      CHOI Junho <junker@jazz.snu.ac.kr>
To:        Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org> writes:

> 	Yes, iso-2022 families are quite important for supporting
> 	asian languages.  Unicode is, for us Japanese, quite incomplete and
> 	unexpandable.

I don't understand why unicode is worse for Japanese. Just lack of
some Kanji glyphs? (someone in Japan pointed me a book but I couldn't
get the book...)

> 	Yes, for Japanese, Chinese and Korean iso-2022 based model (euc-xx
> 	falls into the category) is really important.  However, I personally
> 	believe that filenames must be kept in C locale for simplicity...

Yes, I agree.

For internationalization, I suggest GNU gettext support. Although glibc
or fileutils(except gnuls) is not used officially in the FreeBSD,
there are many other program supporting GNU gettext. For multiple
language messages, GNU gettext is used widely, so I think it is better
to port it into FreeBSD(as a port). I am Korean language
sub-maintainer in GNU NLS Project, but ironically I can't see the
messages translated by me in my FreeBSD machine... gnuls, bison, a2ps,
windowmaker, freetype need GNU gettext, but it is ignored in the phase
of port compilation...

--
 ----Cool FreeBSD!----MSX Forever!---J.U.N.K.E.R/Beat Snatchers!----
  CHOI Junho <junker@jazz.snu.ac.kr>  http://jazz.snu.ac.kr/~junker