Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:47:28 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BGP on a cisco 2500 series

>On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Chris Watson wrote:
>
>> I saw this topic discussed briefly on one of the lists.
>> I didnt pay much attention till now. My boss wants to go multihomed and
>> run BGP. We have a 2501 cisco router, and i'm pretty confident theres no
>> way on gods green earth we can do it on a 2501. both serials are used.
>> And i dont think it has the ability to hold a full routing table?
>
>I think that a full routing table takes about 6 MB these days.  The
>Cisco 2501 comes with 2 MB and you can add 16 MB for something like $300
>if you don't buy the SIMM from Cisco.  Use one Cisco to handle one feed
>and the other Cisco to handle the other feed.  If you get a lot of route
>flaps, increase the dampening.
>
>This approach saves money and gives you real fault-tolerance.  Either
>provider or either Cisco can fail and you won't go down.  I would also
>put them on separate UPSs.

Anyone out there getting multiple views of the net with a 2501? With filtering
and convergence situations the little processor in a 2501 is rather inadaquate.

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX