Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 16:48:41 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@iijlab.net>
To:        CHOI Junho <junker@jazz.snu.ac.kr>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

>> 	Yes, iso-2022 families are quite important for supporting
>> 	asian languages.  Unicode is, for us Japanese, quite incomplete and
>> 	unexpandable.
>I don't understand why unicode is worse for Japanese. Just lack of
>some Kanji glyphs? (someone in Japan pointed me a book but I couldn't
>get the book...)

	For multilingualization Unicode is useless (as I wrote in the previous
	email to hackers).  We already got a framework that is capable for
	multilingualization (iso-2022), we are already using it.
	euc-kr is one of iso-2022 family too, as you know.

>> 	Yes, for Japanese, Chinese and Korean iso-2022 based model (euc-xx
>> 	falls into the category) is really important.  However, I personally
>> 	believe that filenames must be kept in C locale for simplicity...
>Yes, I agree.
>For internationalization, I suggest GNU gettext support. Although glibc
>or fileutils(except gnuls) is not used officially in the FreeBSD,
>there are many other program supporting GNU gettext. For multiple
>language messages, GNU gettext is used widely, so I think it is better
>to port it into FreeBSD(as a port). I am Korean language
>sub-maintainer in GNU NLS Project, but ironically I can't see the
>messages translated by me in my FreeBSD machine... gnuls, bison, a2ps,
>windowmaker, freetype need GNU gettext, but it is ignored in the phase
>of port compilation...

	yes, I agree that NLS is another important portion for
	internationalizing applications.

itojun