Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 11:38:10 -0400
From:      Jonathan Chen <jon@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Konstantin Chuguev <Konstantin.Chuguev@dante.org.uk>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No /dev/card* with NEWCARD under CURRENT of ~12 Aug

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 05:37:47PM +0100, Konstantin Chuguev wrote:
> Now I assume, if there is no /dev/card, /usr/sbin/pccard* is not applicable
> to NEWCARD (i.e. the kernel should automagically [un]load a network
> interface, right?
> If so, will it be able to load a kernel module as well? At the moment I
> don't have any interfaces in kernel, and ain't sure who loads if_ed.ko for
> me...

This seems to be a common misconception for new newcard users.  Perhaps
something should be added to the man page and defaults/rc.conf about
pccardd not being necessary for newcard?

> Well, when I insert a network card, nothing happens. The interface does not
> appear in ifconfig.
> OK, I didn't try other types of cards, or other network cards, I'll do it
> tonight (for both NEWCARD and OLDCARD) and send you kernel logs.
> I remember seeing some small C programs in the list, checking something in
> the cards. Do you need this type of output as well?

There should at the very least be a kernel message that pops up when you
insert the card, something along the lines of:

pccbb0: card inserted: event=0x00000000, state=30000920

If you don't at least see that, then something strange is happening...
We would also need to know what network card you're attempting to use as
well.

-Jon