Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:34:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Anthony Cordeiro <ren@kana.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need anti-exchange ammunition

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Anthony Cordeiro wrote:

> 	The problem here is a major one, and unless something
> absolutely revolitionary happens, I'm almost willing to concede
> that the free source crowd has lost the "messaging and
> collaboration" market. People want point'n' click address books,
> and whiz-bang one-button calendaring, and such. Exchange gives you
> all of that and more right out of the box. Sure, it doesn't scale,
> but all the person paying the bills cares about is that it works.
> Stripping years off their IS staff's life is not their concern.
>
> 	This is a really tough argument that I've yet to win. NT
> fanboys can say, "Look, I can just install Exchange, and Outlook
> on everyone's desk, and all our users are happy". What can I do
> with FreeBSD? Well, I can set up an IMAP server, okay. Oops, gotta
> write some sort of script to sync the mail server user database
> with the NT password database, well, okay. Calendar? Er, flat
> files and grep? Address book? Well, we've got LDAP, sort of, until
> Captive Directory shows up with its new LDAP with "extra
> features", and it's not compatible with anyone's client anymore.
>
> 	Has /anyone/ managed to put together an elegant all-in-one
> solution on FreeBSD that can run a whole shop, and keep all the
> Outlook drones happy? We've had a bunch of arguments against
> Exchange so far, but this is -advocacy. Anyone got a success story
> for something other than Exchange?

Well, if Horde's Kronolith calendar application is ever finished, it
should integreate nicely with IMP, giving you that all-in-one feel.
See http://www.horde.org.  I've seen lots of other web-based calendars
on places like Freshmeat, but I doubt those integrate much with
anything else.  The only problem left is the account/password sync
between the NT and Unix boxes.  I'm checking into that right now,
since I'm stuck in the same dilemma (nobody is pushing me to use
anything else, I just hate managing multiple accounts).  So far there
is Unix Services for NT which supposedly offers password sync of some
sort and even NIS support, neither of which I have looked into yet
since I can't get the damn Microsoft Management Console that it
requires to work correctly.  The other, better solution, is to have
one central LDAP database holding all the account information that
both the NT and Unix boxes consult.  This seems to be easy enough to
implement on the Unix side using PAM and nsswitch (or in my case, all
I should need is an LDAPified Cyrus pwcheck daemon), but I can't find
anything for NT that would do essentially the same.  Not without
forking out heaps of money and/or going to Win2000 with its Acrid
Directory.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."