Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 07:02:40 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IDE cards with two interfaces

This message is filled with terminology which may not be correct.  I'm not
sure what's a device or a controller or an interface.  Please correct when
I've gone wrong.  <thanks>

I have a IDE card contains two IDE interfaces (i.e. you can attach two IDE
cables to it).  One is marked IDE/VLB, the other IDE/ISA.  I've been
running wd0 and wcd0 using IDE/ISA.

I'm trying to add a new disk to this system.  I tried adding wdc1 to the
kernel, but that just makes things freeze.  Then I had a thought: what
about making wd1 refer to wdco drive 2?  Well, I can report that this
seems to succeed.
 I have a wd1 appearing in dmesg.  And running fdisk from within
 /stand/sysinstall gives me both wd0
and wd1.  However, both wd1 and wd0 appear to be the same physical disk as
the properties reported within dmesg are those of the 5G disk and nothing
resembling the 330M disk appears.

Perhaps I should just abandon my 330M....  :(

Van anyone point me in the right direction?  Should I be added a new IDE
controller or just a disk to my kernel?

This area is very hazy.

cheers.

--