Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 09:27:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Halloween Document

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Alex Zepeda wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> [...]
> > This was pushed in my direction, I thought it might be relevant reading.
> >
> > Distressing to see various inconsistencies/untruths about BSD there, too.
>
> Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  Kinda worrysome to see that they
> claimed Linux has the fastest networking stack and is the only one gaining
> market share.

Distressing?  Not at all.  The whole reason why MS is having to deal with
this open source issue now is that they were somewhat blindsided by the
extent to which it could develop.  Having them be dismissive is good in a
lot of ways.

> Just makes me wonder, what tests could IIS possibly be faster than Apache
> on?

Many benchmark situations involving strictly static content will show IIS
to be faster than Apache[0]

> And if they're going to put IIS into the kernel, why not put Office
> *grin* and see how much faster that gets.

Moving parts of IIS to the kernel _IS_ something that I know they are
working on.  This is just one of the several things in there that are not
secret, but aren't really public knowledge AFAIK.  Regardless of if this
is true MS speak or not, it is still very useful for anyone interested in
advocacy (of things other than MS) to read since it quite accurately
depicts their mindframe.

[0] Well, if you want advocacy you can claim that Apache holds (or did
anyway, these things change weekly) the single procssor specweb96 record.
Just don't mention that it is on NT using IBM's in-kernel web caching
stuff.