Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 10:55:54 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Michael DeMutis <mike@2Gen.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade Path from 2.2.2

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.10004040939560.11627-100000@tristo.netinc.ca> Michael DeMutis writes:

[[ Moving 2.2.2 -> 3.4 stable ]]

I've done this once, and it was a while ago so my memory may be
flagging.

I first did a source upgrade to 2.2.6 (the latest -stable of the time,
you'll likely want to get the end of the RELNG_2_2 branch).

Then, I did a buildworld/installworld (or maybe it was still called
make world then).  I also upgraded my kernel.

I then upgraded my sources to 3.0.  There was a special target in that
makefile.  Make aout-to-elf I think it was.  I read the src/Makefile
to find it, ran through the process to get an elf system.  Once I had
that, I upgraded to 3.2-stable (the latest stable at the time, just
before 3.3 came out) and did a make buildworld/installworld and then
upgraded my kernel.

I then sold all the hoops I'd jumped through on the second hand market
for a lot of money.  Sadly this was a mere fraction of the price I
paid for them :-)

Warner