Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 03:58:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        "John A. Booth" <john@ulantris.infinop.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, tim@unt.edu
Subject:   Re: when to sup, et al.

On Fri, 24 May 1996, John A. Booth wrote:

> Ok, I've got one host upgraded to stable and two others are in
> progress now.  Should I setup a cron tab to sup, and how often should
> I do this?  How often does stable change?  How often are there kernel
> changes?  What steps do I need to do to setup one machine to be
> a supserver for my three so I don't have to hog sup2.freebsd.org?
> (sorry for however ignorant my questions may seem).

	stable changes sporatically(sp?), sometimes none at all over
the course of a week, sometimes several times.  If you are going to
do a cron entry, just have it run once a week to grab anything new.

	There are various "commit" mailing lists that you may want to
join, as well, that basically send out announcements as to what new
things have been added (or any changes) to both the -current and -stable
kernels (as well as ports).  Basically, if something comes across one of
those lists that you need today, just perform a manual sup to update your
tree.

	As far as setting up a supserver on one of your machines, check
out ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/sup/sup-server-kit.tar.gz, which should
have everything you need to get setup

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org