Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 2015 15:15:04 -0500
From:      Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
To:        John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org, freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: looking for suggestions for a small router/appliance board/SoC

> On Oct 22, 2015, at 2:39 PM, John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> wrote:
>=20
> On Oct 22, 2015, at 12:19 PM, Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com> wrote:
>=20
>>> On Oct 22, 2015, at 12:57 PM, John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> =
wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Hi-
>>>=20
>>> I=E2=80=99m working on a proof-of-concept for a kind of networking =
swiss army knife. Can anyone suggest a board that meets the following =
requirements? CPU arch doesn=E2=80=99t matter as long as it will run =
FreeBSD (Atom, ARM, MIPS, etc).
>>>=20
>>> - Small form factor (SoC, probably)
>>> - Can support at least 2 802.11a/b/g/n adapters, prefer 3 (any =
combination of chip-integrated and mini PCI-e slots. Prefer to avoid USB =
if possible)
>>=20
>> I openly question your need or the desirability for 3 802.11 =
adapters.  It can be made to work, but you=E2=80=99re going to have some =
intermod.
>=20
> I don=E2=80=99t mind being questioned. :) I haven=E2=80=99t yet had to =
worry much about intermod; can you educate me? One or two of the radios =
would be in the 5GHz band at any given time. One scenario (out of =
several) where I envisioned having 3 radios is taking a wireless uplink =
(STA in either 2.4 or 5 GHz band) and repeating it (HOSTAP) on both 2.4 =
and 5 GHz. Totally crazy?

Many people believe that there are =E2=80=9Cthree non-overlapping=E2=80=9D=
 channels for use with 802.11b/802.11g/802.11n in 2.4GHz.

While the transmit masks don=E2=80=99t overlap, the selectivity of the =
receiver (especially after the industry turned to direct conversion =
architectures around
the advent of 802.11g) is not sufficient to operate even two radios in =
any given bad (2.4GHz, etc.)

It=E2=80=99s all been covered before.  You=E2=80=99ve unknowingly hit =
=E2=80=9CJim=E2=80=99s favorite point of banter=E2=80=9D.

=
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-wireless/2013-December/004158.=
html
http://seclists.org/interesting-people/2009/Oct/77
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/manet/current/msg05757.html
http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2004-April/006524.html

Even where you can operate in separate bands, there are mixing products =
that can greatly interfere with correct reception.

Receivers live under constant bombardment of signals which enter through =
the antenna port. Some of these signals are immediately attenuated due =
to front-end filtering, (aka pre-selection). When the remaining signals =
reach a non-linear element, such as a detector, mixer or amplifier, =
harmonics of the signals are generated. Most of the harmonics are well =
outside the pass band of RF and IF filters and cause no problems.

However there are some frequencies where the mixing products =E2=80=93 =
intermodulation products =E2=80=93 of the various signals fall on or =
near the desired receive frequency range. The intermodulation products =
that tend to cause the most problems are the so-called odd-order =
products. This is true because odd-order products of signals near your =
desired receive frequency also are near your receive frequency. 802.11 =
systems tend to suffer more from these issues due to the uniform spacing =
of the channels.  (Remember that OFDM separates the signal out into many =
sub-channels.)

With DC receivers, the intermediate frequency is zero and the image to =
the desired channel (for all but single-sideband signals) is the channel =
itself. This means=20
only one local oscillator (LO) is required, which means only one phase =
noise contribution, and as such, the need for the bulky off-chip filters =
is consequently removed.  Filtering now only occurs at low frequencies =
(baseband) with some amplification, which means less current consumption =
than at higher frequencies (to drive device parasitics), fewer =
components and lower cost.  This is all good, and contributes the much =
lower cost for today=E2=80=99s 802.11 radios, though the largest =
contributor here is the absence of SAW filters at the IF in a superhet =
receiver.

Practically, however, strong out-of-band interference or blocking =
signals may need to be removed prior to down-conversion in order to =
avoid desensitizing the receiver by saturating subsequent stages, as =
well as producing harmonics and intermodulation terms which will then =
appear in the baseband. =20

In direct conversion, as the signal of interest is converted to baseband =
very early in the receive chain, without any filtering other than RF =
band-selection, various phenomena contribute to the creation of DC =
signals, which directly appear as interfering signals in the band of =
interest.  The LO may be conducted or radiated through an unintended =
path to the mixer's RF input port, thus effectively mixing with itself, =
producing an unwanted DC component at the mixer output. Worse still, =
this LO leakage may reach the LNA input, producing an even stronger =
result. This effect presents a high barrier against the integration of =
LO, mixer and LNA on a single silicon substrate, where numerous =
mechanisms can contribute to poor isolation. These include substrate =
coupling, ground bounce, bond wire radiation, and capacitive and =
magnetic coupling.  I=E2=80=99ve seen LO signals cross over the PCI bus =
lines.  (Vivato had a design with 14 802.11b (superhet) radios on the =
same PCB.  I improved that to 6 802.11g (DC, Atheros) radios on discrete =
cards.)

Conversely, a strong in-band interference signal, once amplified by the =
LNA, may find a path to the LO-input port of the mixer, thus once again =
producing self-mixing.=20

Some amount of LO power will be conducted through the mixer and LNA (due =
to their non-ideal reverse isolation) to the antenna. The radiated =
power, appearing as an interferer to other receivers in the =
corresponding band, may violate emissions standards of the given system. =
It is important to note that since the LO frequency is inside the =
receive band, the front-end filters do nothing to suppress this LO =
emission. Additionally, the radiated LO signal can then be reflected by =
buildings or moving objects and re-captured by the antenna. This effect, =
however, is not of significant importance compared to the aforementioned =
LO self-mixing and blocking signal self-mixing.=20

The leakage of LO or RF signals to the opposite mixer port is not the =
only way in which unwanted DC can be produced. Any stage that exhibits =
even-order nonlinearity will also generate a DC output.

Suffice it to state that many people have this idea, but few actually =
endure the engineering to make it a) work and b) be legal in a given =
(set of) regulatory domain(s).

>>> - Has or supports at least 2 1GbE ports. Prefer 3-5 ports with =
switching functionality
>>> - Storage not super constrained. Built-in storage (if any) can be =
small (which I=E2=80=99m arbitrarily defining as less than 128MB) if =
there is also an SD card slot or similar. USB storage will do in a =
pinch.
>>> - Has at least 2 free USB ports after meeting previous requirements
>>> - Serial port or header (or GPIO pins that can be used as one? Not =
too familiar with that)
>>> - Low power consumption (within reason taking the above into =
account)
>>> - Low cost (again, within reason)
>>>=20
>>> I may just start with a PC Engines apu1d, but if there are boards =
that are smaller, cheaper, have lower power requirements and/or have =
integrated wifi or switch capabilities I=E2=80=99d like to look in to =
them as well.
>>=20
>> you can probably get APU in low-volume, but quantity is very =
constrained these days (it=E2=80=99s been true all year).
>=20
> Good to know.
>=20
>> We do have the RCC-VE and RCC-DFF units available.
>>=20
>> http://store.netgate.com/Desktop-Systems-C83.aspx
>=20
> Thanks for the link!

You could also look at Minnowboard Max (quite difficult to get) or =
Minnowboard Turbot.
http://www.minnowboard.org/meet-minnowboard-max/