Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:56:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is NCI's "NC Server Suite" FreeBSD-based?

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, John S. Dyson wrote:

> Bryan K. Ogawa said:
> >
> > Well, one of Free/Net/OpenBSD, at least, and not BSDi, and with the
> > reference to FreeBSD, it'd have to be the leading candidate.
> >
> It IS NetBSD and FreeBSD based.  The choice was due to various peoples
> experience (Yahoo, et.al.), licensing (non-GPL for runtime),  and portability
> (for ARM -- NetBSD being very portable.)
>
> I was pleasantly overwhelmed to see the reputation that *BSD has in the
> NCI/Oracle community.

Since you're obviously someone in touch with many-things-Oracle, please
allow me to ask one other question (maybe "family of questions" would be
more accurate):

In my quick perusal of the "Server Suite" product literature, I see
mentioned that Oracle7 Server is part of the deal (or at least an option).
Does this mean that Oracle has a *BSD port of Oracle7?  Or, do they use an
SCO version running with ibcs2 emulation?

(Or, maybe they mean for you to do database stuff with a separate box...
say, a Sun ?)

---> The _real_ question that I'm looking for an answer to is, if I wanted
	to run an Oracle database on FreeBSD, what is the optimum
	approach?  I'm sure this is a FAQ, but when I've dug around
	the list archives in the past I've not gotten far.

Thanks,
---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx