Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 12:08:38 -0500
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: Change to "why does my mail to FreeBSD.org bounce" FAQ

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:43:06 +0100
Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 11:47:23AM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> > On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:59:43 +0100
> > Ceri <setantae@submonkey.net> wrote:
> >

> > > As a result of the spamfest on -questions today (which I am, yet
> > > again, partly responsible for), it came to my attention that the
> > > FAQ is lacking a reason why mail to hub.FreeBSD.org may be
> > > rejected.
> > >
> > > I've tried to knock up a patch for this, but DNS and I are too
> > > familiar for me to able to do it properly - I don't think people
> > > will understand the answer, and I need someone to knock it into
> > > shape.
> > >
> > Its a wonderful attempt!  Let me add one thing, just say what you
> > want to say in a very understandable mannor:
>
> Thanks
>
> > ``Mail sent from your personal computer or networked computer will
> > not be processed unless you have a legal (registered) domain name.
> >  Just making up one for your internal network does not qualify as
> >  a legal(registered) domain name.  For email to be accepted at
> >  hub.FreeBSD.org you will be required to use the email address
> >  from your ISP or another email address from a qualified domain.
> >  In plain english, if you cannot accept mail to your computer with
> >  (whoever@example.com) then your email may most likly bounce as a
> >  result.''
>
> I knew it wasn't clear!  The problem isn't to do with the email
> address - it's purely the hostname given in the HELO line :
>
> {setantae@rhadamanth}-{~} $ telnet hub.freebsd.org smtp
> Trying 216.136.204.18...
> Connected to hub.freebsd.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 hub.freebsd.org ESMTP Postfix (Postfix Rules!)
> helo i.dont.resolve
> 250 hub.freebsd.org
> mail from: <setantae@submonkey.net>
> 250 Ok
> rcpt to: <test@FreeBSD.org>
> 450 <i.dont.resolve>: Helo command rejected: Host not found
> quit
> 221 Bye
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> Ceri
>
> --
> keep a mild groove on

Hostname, but if the email address (root@localhost) or hostname -s
boared.com.

board.com# mail -s 'blah' someone@FreeBSD.org < emailfilehere

but board.com isn't a legal domain, then the email wouldn't be from
a legal domain...  I feel that my example is relevant seeing as how
your correct, email address don't matter one bit, its host name.  Why
not give people an example that they would understand ;)

Now, if i'm still missing something, please let me know and i'll get
right out of this arguement.  But I feel that, instead of twirling
people around in circles wondering what HELO is, what HELO has to do
with their email and hostname and on and on, just tell them:

``If your domain name isn't real, don't bother, use the email address
from a real domain name.''  Am I wrong?  If so, please say something,
as you seem to know more about DNS than I, even though the DNS and
BIND book is at my house, I havn't read it yet...

--
Tom (Darklogik) Rhodes
www.FreeBSD.org  -The Power To Serve