Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 08:50:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-freebsd-mobile@arctic.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seamless nomadic e-mail access

> On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Mike Smith wrote:
> > >  What is needed here is both
> > > the ability to read mail from anywhere while online, and the ability to
> > > read and manipulate cached subset of your mail while offline.  Go read
> > > about IMAP 4 disconnected mode if you haven't yet.
> >
> > I'll read about it in the feature set of a mailer, if and when it's
> > implemented.  Until then, a vapourware standard is of no use to me.
>
> There are clients, just not for FreeBSD, or Linux.  See www.imap.org.

There -ARE- clients that run on FreeBSD and Linux.  Not as many
as for M$ Win* or Mac; but they are there.  Pine provides a tty
interface, ML provides a reasonably nice GUI.  Netscape Communicator
(Messenger) provides the all-singing all-dancing polished GUI,
with encryption and digital signature support. ...

-Pat