Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 06:25:12 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        CHOI Junho <junker@jazz.snu.ac.kr>
Cc:        Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>, Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

> For internationalization, I suggest GNU gettext support. Although glibc
> or fileutils(except gnuls) is not used officially in the FreeBSD,
> there are many other program supporting GNU gettext. For multiple
> language messages, GNU gettext is used widely, so I think it is better
> to port it into FreeBSD(as a port). I am Korean language
> sub-maintainer in GNU NLS Project, but ironically I can't see the
> messages translated by me in my FreeBSD machine... gnuls, bison, a2ps,
> windowmaker, freetype need GNU gettext, but it is ignored in the phase
> of port compilation...

If the GNU gettext is GPL'd, using it for i18n work on the base FreeBSD
system would seem to be a pretty bad idea.  If we're serious about
doing this "right", we need something that we can integrate entirely.

Just for reference's sake, what's wrong with the XPG3 support we
currently have (catopen/catclose/catgets)?