Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 08:31:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      Paul Borman <prb@bsdi.com>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your builds

> From: Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
> Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 11:25:05 +0200
> Subject: Re: your builds
> To: Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Cc: freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> > You can do it, but performance sucks.  I'm led to believe that later
> > versions of windows also grow and shrink the swapfile, so it's not so
> > straightforward anymore.
>
> Don't ask me for details, as I don't have them anymore; years ago
> someone posted a recipe which showed how he made a separate partition
> for his Windoze swap file, then frobbed his disklabel to fit the
> FreeBSD swap partition completely inside the Windoze swap file.
>
> It was quite messy but doable, and it worked.

It is not terribly difficult.  Under DOS make and extended partition
to cotain the swap area.  Under BSD make you b partition start 1 cyl
into the extended DOS partition (so as not to overwrite the beginning
of that partition.)

You can also find someone with BSD/OS.  The disksetup program inherently
knowns how to do this and the release notes talk about it.  That might
help you set it up.

				-Paul Borman