Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 21:06:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Eaglez <eaglez69@yahoo.com>
To:        Craig Johnston <caj@lfn.org>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trailing edge system recs

As long as you feel no need (or overwhelming desire)
to go dual, I'd go athalon. (a friend of mine is just
now, going dual celeron 500...)

Motherboard: I've heard nothing but excelent reviews
of Epox's athalon board. I forget what the exact
number is, but you should be able to find all the
specs on their site (wherever that is...) It has
UDMA/66 and PC133 dimm support. (those being the
latest stable IDE and RAM versions/speeds,
respectively.)

Sound: The awe64 is supported. I have an SBLive,
myself, which works flawlessly, although there have
been reports of cracly sound for some people. You
might want to look into a PCI128 too... Unfortunatly,
my knowladge of sound is limited to Creative (i
started out with an AWE32, just when it came out, and
i've stayed in creative).

Hard Drives: I'd DEFINATLY stay with SCSI if you can
afford it. True, UDMA/66 IS faster than some scsi2
hd's and maybe some Ultras or wides (i'm not sure; i'm
just getting into scsi myself) But it won't beat out
the SCSI U2W or the Ultra160 drives. If you persist in
your quest to regress to IDE, IBM IS a great company
for IDE as well as SCSI. I don't know much about
seagate, but i think they're pretty good, from what i
heard. (my knowladge there is restricted to 540MB
drives and below)

CD ripping: I haven't gotten it working myself, in
FreeBSD, but i happen to know that with most modern
QUALITY IDE cdrom's, you can rip in cd-digital. This
DVD drive i have certainly will. Just make sure you
can get the cd-digital cable. (it's a two-pin
connector to your sound card, just like the regular
cd-audio cable)

Anyway, welcome to the modern world :)
Two years ago... lets see... that's what, first P2's?
266mhz? wow, that'll be a jump :)
good luck!

-Jesse