Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 09:53:02 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@netbsd.org>
Cc:        core@FreeBSD.ORG, core@netbsd.org, cgd@netbsd.org, ross@netbsd.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copyright infringement in FreeBSD/alpha

Uh, excuse me for just a second.

First, WTF (decode that yourself) does this have to do with the -hackers
list?  I'm on this list to read about code, not about people pissing in
each other's faces about this and that.

Second, if you're writing code and giving it away under BSDish terms, you
can be pissed, you can scream, you can moan, but UNLESS you file the code
with the Copyright office you probably can't sue, and even then you probably
can't get damages (what economic harm would you assert?).  So drop the crap
about lawyers and such.

THIRD, and probably most importantly, NetBSD has zero - and I do mean zero -
right to come storming in here and pontificate about how things will work on
the FreeBSD side of the fence "in the future".

I am not a CORE team member, but I use a lot of this code, and do my fair
share of debugging on the -CURRENT release.  Frankly, all this has done is
convince me that ever looking into NetBSD would be a COMPLETE waste of my
time.

I've had a few run-ins with the FreeBSD core folks, but I've never see this
kind of crap out of them - this is beyond silly, its insane.

Grow the fsck up Herb.

Having said all of this, I will say no more - except will you PLEASE get
this off the -HACKERS list!

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV