Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 23:22:24 +0000
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.kiev.ua>
To:        Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is NCI's "NC Server Suite" FreeBSD-based?

Charles Owens wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, John S. Dyson wrote:
>
> ? Charles Owens said:
> ? ?
> ? ? Since you're obviously someone in touch with many-things-Oracle, please
> ? ? allow me to ask one other question (maybe "family of questions" would be
> ? ? more accurate):
> ? ?
> ? ? In my quick perusal of the "Server Suite" product literature, I see
> ? ? mentioned that Oracle7 Server is part of the deal (or at least an option).
> ? ? Does this mean that Oracle has a *BSD port of Oracle7?  Or, do they use an
> ? ? SCO version running with ibcs2 emulation?
> ? ?
> ? They use an internal port of Oracle7.
> ? ?
> ? ? ---? The _real_ question that I'm looking for an answer to is, if I wanted
> ? ?     to run an Oracle database on FreeBSD, what is the optimum
> ? ?     approach?  I'm sure this is a FAQ, but when I've dug around
> ? ?     the list archives in the past I've not gotten far.
> ? ?
> ? That is a hot-potato that I cannot (and am not competent to) answer.
>
> Obvious (and final) followup:
>
> Can you point me at a FreeBSD-guru-type who _can_ (and won't mind)
> answer(ing) this question?
>
> ?From your tone above I have this sneaking suspicion that your answer
> to this questio willn be an equally terse "no."  If so, I understand (I
> think).  :-)
>
> Thanks,

 In principle, i hear, that exists peoples, that run Oracle under
 SCO emulator.

1.  turn on ibcs2
2.  get SCO libs.
    (Linux guys have sco_libs on their ftp servers, I forgott where,
     may be on Oracle site in Australia)
3.  copy entire directory structure (/usr/oracle7) with all permissions
     to FreeBSD.
     (create appropriative users)
4.  Copy startup scripts and /etc/oratab
     (be carefull with permissions)
5.  Try to run.

  Few days ago, somebody (may be Jordan ?) say, that he know peoples, which do
this.

 If you will try, please,  tell me about results.

  On Oracle ftp site in Australia (where live unofficial Oracle FAQ)   you can
find detailed instructions about setting Oracle on Linux.

  I think, that it will  be the same for FreeBSD.