Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 18:26:50 -0500
From:      Jerry Hicks <wghhicks@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is NCI's "NC Server Suite" FreeBSD-based?

John S. Dyson wrote:

> Charles Owens said:
> >
> > Can you point me at a FreeBSD-guru-type who _can_ (and won't mind)
> > answer(ing) this question?
> >
> Simply put, it is in the hands of marketing at Oracle.  The more people who strongly
> demand a port to FreeBSD, the bigger the chances are.  The way to get Oracle
> for FreeBSD is to get it though marketing/sales channels.  It is not in the hands
> of the technical (guru) types.
>
> --
> John
> dyson@freebsd.org
> jdyson@nc.com

WRT Oracle for FreeBSD, we *do* seem to be much closer than ever before.

Marketing types still respond to public interest (most of the time).

Undoubtedly, BSD Unix derivatives will be getting some widespread public
exposure as a by-product of the Oracle developments.  The interest
generated could be what ultimately convinces Oracle to publish a FreeBSD
implementation of their database.

IMO, Oracle's activities are good for FreeBSD, whether that ever happens
or not.

Keep up the good work John.

Jerry Hicks
jerry_hicks@bigfoot.com