Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:50:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/15408: Description of ls and nlist wrong in man page for ftp

The following reply was made to PR docs/15408; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc: inwap@best.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 01:58:21 +0100

 >      2) Change the docs to show that 'ls' is different from 'nlist'.
 >
 >              Update the man page, so that the paragraph on 'dir' includes
 >      a statement how 'dir' differs from 'nlist'.

 I'd rather the other way around, but I don't feel strongly either way.
 It already explains that 'dir' returns system-dependent information.
 How about adding something like this to the 'nlist' description:

 	Note that this command only returns the filenames in the remote
 	directory.  If you wish to see more information about the files
 	(often size, modification time, and so on) use the dir command
 	instead.

 Perhaps something could be added to the 'dir' description too:

 	If you want a plain list of files, with no extra information, use
 	the nlist command instead.

 ok?

 >      Replace the paragraph on
 >      'ls' with "ls [remote-directory [local-file]]\nA synonym for dir."
 >      Move the old description of 'ls' to 'nlist'.

 That's easy...

 >      Make it clear that, according to the RFC, this command returns
 >      a list of files on the remote machine, explictly excluding the
 >      names of any subdirectories in the remote directory.  (The
 >      wu-ftpd-2.6.0 server enforces this.)

 What do you mean by "this command"?  The "nlist" client command?  The NLST
 server command?  Either way, I don't see subdirectories excluded:

 ftp> ls
 ---> PORT 192,168,91,33,192,13
 200 PORT command successful.
 ---> LIST
 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
 total 12
 d--x--x--x   2 root  wheel   512 Apr  5 19:14 bin
 d--x--x--x   2 root  wheel   512 Apr  5 19:18 etc
 drwxrwx-wt   2 root  wheel   512 Apr  5 19:13 incoming
 drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel   512 Aug 11  1999 local
 drwxr-xr-x  39 root  bin    1024 Jul 10 01:34 packages
 drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel   512 Jul  1 20:38 pub
 226 Transfer complete.
 ftp> dir
 ---> PORT 192,168,91,33,192,14
 200 PORT command successful.
 ---> LIST
 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
 total 12
 d--x--x--x   2 root  wheel   512 Apr  5 19:14 bin
 d--x--x--x   2 root  wheel   512 Apr  5 19:18 etc
 drwxrwx-wt   2 root  wheel   512 Apr  5 19:13 incoming
 drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel   512 Aug 11  1999 local
 drwxr-xr-x  39 root  bin    1024 Jul 10 01:34 packages
 drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel   512 Jul  1 20:38 pub
 226 Transfer complete.
 ftp> nlist
 ---> PORT 192,168,91,33,192,15
 200 PORT command successful.
 ---> NLST
 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
 bin
 etc
 incoming
 local
 packages
 pub
 226 Transfer complete.

 Am I misunderstanding something?  The server in question is running
 wu-ftpd-2.6.0.  Could you explain what should be happening a bit better?

 thanks,

 --
 Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D