Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 14:36:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   swapping servers

Well, perhaps mucking up my machine was a good thing.  I was liking it at
home box too much when I originally built it to replace my old server
which is a little under powered right now.

I have an UltraWide SCSI drive in it with a 20 gig IDE drive in it for
mass storage.  I was also given another 30 gigs by a friend who would like
access to use the box as well.  It also has a faster processor than the
current server.  It will help me when dealing with more cryptography and
java issues since that had been a bogging down the server in the past.

The old box also needs a fresh install since I feel some librararies are
conflicting and I am unable to do a clean build on the live server.

What I plan on doing is installing FreeBSD 4.0 along with all the goods
that are on the current server and making the boxes as close to identical
as possible... then quickly swap out the old box and install the new box.
(shutdown, boot up)

This will be a totally clean install.  I will install FreeBSD RELEASE and
do a "make buildworld" for STABLE and install a STABLE kernel.

Are there any caveats that I would be aware of before going ahead with
this plan?

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

fortune:
If a listener nods his head when you're explaining your program, wake
him up.