Date:      Wed, 8 Jul 1998 23:29:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
To:        Francisco Reyes <reyesf@newsguy.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD E-Zine?

> Also recently you wrote....
>
> ****FreeBSD Really quick newsletter
> >This is a monthly Newsletter, published only by E-mail.
> >If you have anything you would like to see in the next edition,
> >please send e-mail to fbsd-book@vmunix.com
> >Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>
>
> I liked the Quick newsletter because it serves a void from the
> FreeBSD pages. To give somewhat recent news of what is going on with
> FreeBSD.

This does fill a void, and I plan on keeping this up.  An E-zine wouldn't
replace this.

> The Ezine is a great idea, but I think it would be best to go through
> the FreeBSD documentation project and see how to best integrate what
> would go into an Ezine with the existing FreeBSD pages.

I disagree with that.  An E-zine would be very different from the
Documentation project.  I am looking for a small team of volunteers, big
enough group that we can handle when people are busy and still get the
e-zine out.  I was hoping to get an e-zine that printed every two months.
Its contents could be dynamic, so we had no constraints on how large or
small it was.  We could just print it when we thought we had enough stuff.
I am finding that I almost have enough stuff to print a RQN every two
weeks.  I just plan for once a month incase I get busy.

It will be easy to incorportate alot of people into this project.  I was
forseeing jobs like "list watching"  people who just watch one list and
write a small column on what has been happening on that list over that two
month period.  If I get enough of these volunteers We can keep an e-zine
very well published.

 > One of the problems with the FreeBSD pages is that they
seem Stale
> after one visits them for a while. The newsflash is updated seldom.

That is one reason I would like to separate this from FreeBSD.org is
because the people who  have 'Rights' there are already overloaded.

> >Well, Lets get organized!
> >We need:
> >	An Editor. :-)
>
> Chris, you seem like a good candidate. Why don't you take the job.
> <G>

I will volunteer to be the project coordinator and write a column, but my
editing skills are not up to par.

> >	Web Site:
>
> Best to use Freebsd.org since it is mirrored.

We could always get our site mirrored by FreeBSD.org.

> Anothe simple approach is why not just have something like the Quick
> Newsletter on the WEB. Nothing really fancy, just something which is
> updated regularly,

This is my plan exactly.  To start small and build from there.
I just need a core team and web site.  I have a couple volunteers  and a
site so far.  I think we will build momentum with each issue.

	-Chris Coleman