Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 10:10:20 -0700
From:      match@elen.utah.edu
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your builds (using Win9x swap space)

On 4 Dec 99, at 0:26, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > Have you looked into whether you can use a Windoze file as swap
> > > and auxiliary filesystem container? Haven't set up an experiment
> > > yet. I'm told linux can do it. Be nice to eliminate NFS, even if
> > > the pc has to slurp a lot more across the network at first.
> >
> > Hey! great idea, I hadn't thought about trying to use the windows
> > swapfile that was already available.. this might just work, if I
> > went along and created it as a vnode device, i believe i might just
> > try this tonight and post the results later :)
>
> You can do it, but performance sucks.  I'm led to believe that later
> versions of windows also grow and shrink the swapfile, so it's not so
> straightforward anymore.

Yes, this is default for 'doze, however if the user takes control of
the swap file and sets the min and max size to be equal (in
Windows open Control Panel, then System, then Virtual Memory,
and make whatever changes,) then de-frag it so's it's all together on
the disk, then it begins to look like the fixed-sized swap file we all
know and love... Even helps 'doze a little bit because it stops using
up horsepower growing and shrinking the swapfile. I set up all my
Win 98 machines this way. The difference is noticeable.

Performance is still a problem, due to 'doze stupid almost-a-file-
system. But, if it's all you've got to work with, then it's all you've got.

Marvin Match
match@ee.utah.edu
University of Utah
Electrical Engineering

P.S. Mike, at comdex I spoke to you some about clustering two
computers and one RAID array, remember? You mentioned that
someone had pursued that avenue some, perhaps not to a working
solution, but I don't remember who. Can you (or anyone else) point
me to the guilty parties? We would like to pick up the work and run
with it for a while.

Thanx