Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 22:09:06 +0200
From:      Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failed

Hi Brennan,

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 02:19:05PM -0500, Brennan W Stehling wrote:
> Once again I get flamed.
sorry. But I think you're a little oversensitive regarding the
previous reactions to your messages.
Furthermore you're showing a certain kind of ignorance against
the advices concerning 'tracking -stable' in the handbook (which
is a prominent part of www.freebsd.org).

> I am not saying I did not screw up the install.  That is obvious, but the
> documentation did not give any warning that the 4.0 upgrade would not work
> as the ugprades from any of the 3.x upgrades did.  I realize 4.0 has many
> radical changes, that is why I looked so hard to find more documentation
> on the site.
a) You knew beforehand, that you would be switching to a new major
release.

b) Obviously you were tracking RELENG_3, weren't you?

> I was subscribed to freebsd-announce and did not see anything on that list
> to offer warning.  I also looked over the site for any indication that the
> upgrade would be different than before.  Again I did not find anything.
May I cite from the handbook, section 18.2.2.3. "Using FreeBSD-stable"?

    1. Join the FreeBSD-stable mailing list [...]. This will
       keep you informed of build-dependencies that may appear
       in stable or any other issues requiring special attention.
       [...]

    4. Before compiling stable, read the Makefile in /usr/src
       carefully.  [...] Reading the FreeBSD-stable mailing
       list [...] will keep you up-to-date onother bootstrapping
       procedures that sometimes become necessary as we move
       towards the next release.

> So I followed the same path as I did in all my previously successful
> upgrades.  Does that seem like a bad idea to you?
Yes. Just because you were lucky in choosing just the right points
of time to do your intermediate upgrades (leading to painless upgrades
despite of ignoring the documentation), it doesn't mean, that
you'll always have success with this attitude.

> Of course I could have read 8 README files for some word of warning or new
> instructions and joined the list 2 months in advance, but the fact
> remains,
Yes. You should have done so, definately.

> the documentation for "make world" did not help me.  And I did
> read the errata, release and announce files.  They told me a few things,
> but nothing about using a different upgrade routine.
The documentation for 'make world' (right in the second sentence
of 18.4. Using make world) states:
    "Take a backup: I cannot stress highly enough ..."

And a few lines downwards, once againg "Subscribe to the right mailing
list".

> FreeBSD handbook while the mailing list may not offer accurate help.
The handbook states multiple times, that subscribing to the appropriate
mailing list is a prerequisite for tracking one of the FreeBSD-branches.

> In the future I think I will stick to reading online documentation and
> avoid the mailing lists.
According to the 'official FreeBSD documentation' exactly the
wrong thing to do.

-Andreas

--
User acceptance test? - I'm 7'1" 320lbs. They except me or I eat
their children.  (as outlined in our terms of service)