Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:15:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        donh@halenet.com.au, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disks...?

>From: "Don Hansford" <donh@halenet.com.au>
>Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 06:05:40 +1000

>The result of having your root, swap & usr on seperate slices is that the
>swap file

Careful, there.  Although it's possible to set up a file (within a file
system) for swapping, that's not a topic that I would reasonably expect
a FreeBSD newbie to be familiar with.  [It may be a matter of
familiarity, but I find the SunOS approach much easier to administer.
Performance may be a different matter, though....]

>doesn't get confused (ala Windows), and cause freezes & hangs as
>it tries to overwrite system files,etc.

That degree of separation does not require separate "slices" -- just
separate "partitions".

>It is a better system, trust me! :-))

:-}

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915