Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 1997 18:21:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Hetzels@aol.com
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Can FreeBSD and Radius be used for a CyberCafe?

I think the point of confusion here lies in what you are calling a
workstation.  I assume for simplicity's sake you are using win95 machines
or Macs at the cafe itself, correct?  If so, you cannot hack win95 to let
people "login" to the workstation for general access to the machine
itself.  You would be best served in a situation like this by setting up a
small NT box that would act as a server for your win95 machines.  It could
require a login to access the machine and also keep people from
adding/deleting things on the win95 workstations (people will play).

To check their email, they would run Eudora, Exchange or whatever and use
their Unix password to get mail.  When they login from home, they could
use the same password for dial-in access.  Radius could be set up to
authenticate them off the Unix PW file...  People who have mail accounts
but no dial-up access, could just be given a shell of /bin/false and
Radius would not let them dial in, as it checks if the user has a valid
shell...

The difficulty here is in giving people workstation access. 95 is not
terribly easy to work with, and all the "cybercafes" I've seen in NYC rely
on a simple screensaver password to keep people off the workstation until
they pay.  Pretty cheezy, but that's what they do...  The NT solution is
more elegant, but takes some decent NT knowledge to set up.

Charles