Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:37:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        perhaps@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        opsys@mail.webspan.net, bkogawa@primenet.com, owensc@enc.edu, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is NCI's "NC Server Suite" FreeBSD-based?

Eivind Eklund said:

> > On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Bryan K. Ogawa wrote:
> >

> > > Well, one of Free/Net/OpenBSD, at least, and not BSDi, and with the
> > > reference to FreeBSD, it'd have to be the leading candidate.
> >
> > It is actually FreeBSD. All you have to do is call their supplier DLT and
> > ask them if it's FreeBSD and they usually say "I'm not sure but I know it
> > is BSD based hold on let me check... " And they come back and "Yes it is
> > in fact FreeBSD"
> >
> > Just ask em there more than happy to tell you :)
>
> They should actually tell up front, according to the BSD license...

It doesn't really say that.  It isn't even advertised by NCI, that it is any kind
of U**X clone (that I know of.)  Additionally, all of the copyright notices and
necessary source code is reproduced on the distributions (per GPL as needed), and
necessary copyright notices are reproduced on the docs.  I helped review the license
terms to make sure of compliance (I happen to be very picky about compliance
with license terms), but did not have a project responsibilty.  What ended up
on the distribution MIGHT HAVE differed from my wishes, but I don't think that
is so.  BTW, major components of NC/OS are derived from FreeBSD-2.2.2 with
updates and patches and/or older versions of NetBSD, but there is alot more stuff
on the distribution than just an OS.  I personally created the .tar.gz of the
GPLed source code distribution, and it is unmodified from the GPLed portions
of the FreeBSD sources.

If there are specific violations of the license terms on the distributions, I
would appreciate feedback, so that I can make sure that appropriate parties
will be notified, and the error will be corrected, ASAP.  I personally don't
like to see violations of license terms!!!  It is best to fix problems, before
they get out-of-hand.

It is likely that most distributions that people have seen outside of NCI are
beta or pre-production copies, anyway.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org