Date:      Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:19:05 -0800
From:      Jim Pazarena <fhard@ccstores.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multi-port serial devices

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Saturday 29 October 2005 07:45 pm, Jim Pazarena wrote:
>
>>just purchased Specialix SX modular high speed serial solution
>>
>>Specialix has changed their name (bought out by perhaps) to Perle.
>>
>>The FreeDSD 5.4 hardware compatibility list indicates
>>"Specialix SI/XIO/SX" multiport serial cards, are supports (si(4) driver)
>>
>>however a compile of the kernel with  "device si" doesn't even
>>discover the card. The supplied DOS utility to probe the device works
>>as expected.
>>
>>Can anyone offer a suggestion.
>

> Is this a PCI card?  If so, can you try adding it's device ID to the si(4)
> driver?  If you aren't sure how to do that, just post the output of pciconf
> -lv and include the section of info about your card.

thank you VERY MUCH for the response!

yes it is indeed a PCI card, here is the pciconf -lv output

none8@pci2:7:0:	class=0x078000 card=0x030011cb chip=0x200011cb rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Specialix International Ltd.'
    device   = 'PCI-9050 Target Interface'
    class    = simple comms

all I added to the MYKERNEL configuration is:
device     si

your help is much appreciated!
Jim

this is my second $1000 purchase for a multi-port serial device to work with FreeBSD
my first purchase -> RocketPort just plain wouldn't work. The management is
getting frustrated with my purchases based on the Hardware Compatibility List.