Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 13:35:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@brann.org>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with sound card

Doug White wrote...

> Bouncing this on over to multimedia where the sound gurus live :-)
>
> On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, John Brann wrote:
>
> > I have an ancient SoundBlaster Pro in my machine.  Under older releases
> > of FreeBSD I have run nas successfully.  Under 2.2.5 nas runs, but only
> > with '.au' files.  All other types result in a variety of unpleasant
> > noises.  Even '.au' files have one unwanted effect - after playing the sound
> > there is a pause of about 5 seconds before the client program terminates.
>
> Can you be more specific?  What types of files are you trying to play, and
> how?

Mostly MS sound files '.wav'.  I play these through the NAS 'audemo' program
which is a client of the 'au' server.  I've used this historically with
success.

I have a sneaking suspicion about what's wrong.  I think maybe I've got the
wrong IRQ set in the kernel for this card.  I re-built my kernel config
file from scratch for 2.2.5 (it dated back to 2.0.5...) and I may have
had a brain fart in the process.  I'll have to open the box to look
at the jumpers on the card.  I'm suspicious about this because I wouldn't
expect anything to work (remember, I can play '.au' files) if the
interrupt was wrong, but I'll let you know.

John

Prohibit work, prohibit pay - people are dying!
			Situationist International slogan

finger jbrann@doorman.brann.org for pgp public key