Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:31:45 -0600
From:      Pete Mckenna <pmckenna@oss.uswest.net>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        matt@msg.ucsf.edu, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: console friendly motherboard/BIOS ?

We use lots of these and what I've heard from vendors and Intel
themselves is that the board isn't being phased out but that Intel had a
major miss step when they tried to go to RAMBUS and this cuased the
l440GX to be out of production for several months and they have now
begun to recover from the back log. It was pretty bleak for awhile but
things seem to be improving.

Pete

Doug Barton wrote:

> matt@msg.ucsf.edu wrote:
> >
> > originally i thought i would get a PC Weasel to turn my FreeBSD server
> > into something i could >really< manage from the console.  (PC Weasel info
> > is at http://www.realweasel.com/intro.html).  for those who don't know
> > about this product, it's a card which allows you to see pre-boot messages
> > from a remote console.  i saw it mentioned on slasdhot earlier this week.
> >
> > i then heard that some motherboard/BIOS combinations do this too.  since i
> > need to upgrade my machine anyhow, i can kill 2 birds with one stone by
> > getting such a system and skipping the Weasel.  can anyone suggest a
> > motherboard/BIOS that does this?
>
>         The Intel L440GX allows you to configure the BIOS settings over the serial
> console. Someone said that they are phasing this board out though. :-/
>
> Doug
> --
>     "So, the cows were part of a dream that dreamed itself into
> existence? Is that possible?" asked the student incredulously.
>     The master simply replied, "Mu."

Peter McKenna                                      U S WEST !NTERPRISE
pmckenna@uswest.net                         http://www.interprise.com/
                                                     Main 612-664-4000
                                                      FAX 612-664-4770