Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 20:54:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quantum Atlas (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 16:09:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: coneill@premier.net
To: ISP-List <inet-access@earth.com>
Subject: Re: Quantum Atlas

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Greg Niemialkowski wrote:
> Seems to me, that a lot of people are using Barracudas.  How about
> Quantum Atlas series?
> Has anybody had bad experience with them, to be the one that people are
> not talking about?  We think about buying couple of them for our ISP.
> Can anybody advise against doing so?

We've got 3 of the 2gb models in our news server and are extremely pleased
with them.  We're about to put in two more.  My understanding is that they
run a little cooler than the Barracudas, and my personal experience
(unfortunately) is that they can deal with heat rather well.  (Example, I
had two of them stacked in a mini-tower case for 3 weeks w/o a problem).
However, I strongly suggest cooling them well if you plan on making them
last.

Lastly, don't confuse them with the Grand Prix series.  You'll hear a lot
of bad things about the Grand Prix's because a they had a run of them with
bad bearings early on.  We've got one of the 4gb ones, and they run much
hotter than the 2gb Atlas's we have.

Clayton O'Neill             Business-->                   Premier One Inc
whatever@oneill.net                                   clayton@premier.net
http://www.oneill.net       <--Personal            http://www.premier.net