Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 09:52:23 -0500
From:      Dave Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, dirk@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is there a mysql user that want to save a FreeBSD box ?

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

> Sorry for crossposting in ports, chat ad to mantainer itself... but
> all my previous email on this topic were not answered, but I really
> need a quick , very quick answer...

Then you should probably read the supplied docs.  From the online
manual:

   http://www.tcx.se/Manual_chapter/manual_Installing.html#FreeBSD
   http://www.tcx.se/Manual_chapter/manual_Installing.html#MIT-pthreads

   * MIT-pthreads doesn't support the `AF_UNIX' protocol used to
     implement Unix sockets.  This means that if you compile using
     MIT-pthreads, all connections must be made using TCP/IP (which is
     a little slower).  If you find after building *MySQL* that you
     cannot connect to the local server, it may be that your client is
     attempting to connect to `localhost' using a Unix socket as the
     default. Try making a TCP/IP connection with `mysql' by using a
     host option (`-h' or `--host') to specify the local host name
     explicitly.

The default on FreeBSD is to compile MySQL with MIT-pthreads.  When
using the port, there is an option to use native threads which I
believe does not have this limitation.  Here is the message that is
printed when you make the port:

  You may set NATIVE_THREADS (make NATIVE_THREADS=yes)
  to compile mysql with the native FreeBSD threads (libc_r).

  Warning: There are still some bugs in libc_r which prevent
           'mysqladmin shutdown' from working properly and
            killing mysqld might not work.

DaveD

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM

--cWoXeonUoKmBZSoM--