Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 07:57:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Bill Lloyd <wlloyd@mpd.ca>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, stable@freebsd.org, questions list FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: stty settings and tip (solved!)

On Thu, 23 May 1996, Bill Lloyd wrote:

> Michael Smith wrote:
> >
> > Charles Owens stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > I tried posting the following to -questions, but got no takers, so I
> > > thought I'd try here.
> > >
> > > Surely _somebody_ uses tip to connect between two FreeBSD boxes!
>
> I do.  It works.  But it can be frusterating.
> >
> > Nope.  I use 'cu'.  'cu -s 38400 -l /dev/cuaa0' and then dial the
> > modem by hand.  Works for me...
> >
> > >   Charles Owens                                  Email:  owensc@enc.edu
> >
> > > I've observed similar (but much less debilitating) behavior over telnet
> > > connections.  Specificly, if I telnet into another FreeBSD box and run
> > > pkg_manage, I must use ^J in place of ENTER.  And, if I run pine, ^O
> > > (suspend new message) doesn't work at all.
> >

> If you are having ctrl-j type problems, it probably means that the
> parity is wrong.  Just because stty -f /dev/cuaa0 tells you its n81
> doesn't seem to effect tip.
>
> I have to use pa=none in /etc/remote.  Add it to the end of the line
> entry that you need.  see man remote for more info.

AH-HA!!!!  That was indeed my problem!!!  Silly me... I dug deep into the
stty manual but paid scant attention to the /etc/remote manual.

Thanks VERY much!!  Tip now works like it should!
---
  Charles Owens                                  Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X