Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 14:10:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        IBS / Andre Oppermann <andre@pipeline.ch>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Secure Ping 1.0]

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, IBS / Andre Oppermann wrote:

> This looks promising ;-)

Personally, I was under-impressed.  This doesn't stop anyone from writing
a tiny program that sends 64k UDP packets to deny service.  Or using any
number of simple network utilities to generate denial of service problems.
Just to name a few that allow for abuse -- dig, nslookup, sendmail,
telnet, finger, lynx, netscape (or maybe that one is too heavy-weight? :).

Especially if you use the situation he describes where a bunch of ping
processes are running.

I'm not sure we gain anything from this situation, although the signal
semantics arrangement that results in the sigalarm arrangement should be
addressed, of course (if it hasn't been already).

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/