Date:      Sat, 15 Oct 2005 15:47:31 -0700
From:      Aaron Glenn <aaron.glenn@gmail.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP list <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Distributed authentication. Which one?

On 10/15/05, Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com> wrote:

> So Kerberos would be more along the lines of users login in to the
> machines?

Exactly. The problem I've always had is, what happens when you can
reach the device, but the device can't reach any KDC (for whatever
reason)? How can one fall back on another authentication method while
maintaining consistant login credentials? Food for thought...

> > service, and NIS is a simple directory service introduced by Sun.
>
> Between LDAP and NIS which one would you consider to be:
> 1- More secure
> 2- Easier to maintain

I would say LDAP, but then I've never used NIS.

regards,
aaron.glenn