Date:      Mon, 8 May 2006 08:58:04 -0500
From:      "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        "John Baldwin" <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenOffice 2.0 and KDE

On 5/7/06, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 07 May 2006 06:45, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> > On 5/6/06, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > > Now that the 1.1.x port is broken on 6.1 and later (thus leaving
> > > 2.0 as the only buildable OOo for 6.1) it would be really nice to
> > > get the KDE integration working again.  It seems that editing the
> > > .desktop files and putting them someplace that KDE can see them
> > > (I made a /usr/local/share/applnk/OpenOffice 2.0.2/ directory)
> > > gets OOo to show up in the K menu and the file associations to
> > > work, but it would be nice to have some icons.  Unfortunately,
> > > I either have insufficient google skills or no one has working
> > > icons for OOo 2.0 with KDE as I couldn't find any useful info
> > > on getting the icons to work.  Any ideas?
> > >
> > > It would be really nice to at least have a FAQ question for getting
> > > OOo 2.x and KDE to play nice even if it just listed the steps one
> > > needs to do by hand.
> >
> > If your running KDE on FreeBSD theirs little need for OpenOffice
> > because KOffice 1.5 now has ODF* support plus it's a shitload easier
> > to build and install on FreeBSD, no Java, Bison, or, *xml crap to deal
> > with etc. It's in the ports tree under /usr/ports/editors/koffice-kde3
> >
> > *OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications
> >

> > Hooray for interoperability!
>
> I already have it installed, and might try out the newer version.  Howeve=
r,
> in my past experience OOo was vastly superior to Koffice (such as having
> the spreadsheet understand time values and doing simple arithmetic on
> them, as well as handling MS Office docs).

Oops... I assumed this thread was taking place on the questions
mailing list and that you were a newbie... must look like I'm
trolling, that was not my intention. anyways...

Yes I'd have to agree with you about OOo's calc vs. Kspread, pasting
data into Kspread is weird too. I can't comment on MS office compat
because everything internal to us is in ODF format, when I have to
work with outside people I send them a PDF, if they don't need to
edit, or a ODF doc and a copy of OOo on CD-R... When it's released,
that new ODF plug-in for MS office will be great.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/