Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:14:48 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@netbsd.org>
Cc:        core@FreeBSD.ORG, core@netbsd.org, cgd@netbsd.org, ross@netbsd.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copyright infringement in FreeBSD/alpha

> Ok, now that you've all had time to throw your diapers around; here's
> how this is going to work in the future:

[speaking for FreeBSD-core]

Herb,

While I respect the fact that this idea may represent your best effort
at bringing law and order to these currently mean streets, it also
strikes many of us in FreeBSD-core as something of an over-engineered
solution for a problem which honestly and truly is just not that
complex.  I also appreciate that you called for a hiatus on this
issue, but you also requested a response from us before June 15th so
here is it.

>From our perspective, this is all quite simple.  If one of our
committers should find his code plagiarized or otherwise incorporated
into any other *BSD, be it NetBSD or OpenBSD, without proper
attribution then he will simply contact the committer in question and
ask, not demand, that the omission be rectified.  Should that other
*BSD committer be indeterminate or unresponsive to such queries after
a reasonable period of time, then the committer will send a 2nd
message to *BSD-core, just as they would for any other problem
involving some "administrative issue" with that OS, and hope for a
resolution through that forum.  Under no circumstances will our
committer also send his complaints to foobsd-hackers, foobsd-announce
or any other public mailing list for which the issue is truly not
pertinent and good only for raising unnecessary passions.  Should
sending a message to foobsd-core also prove ineffective as a last
resort in resolving such problems, I think I can safely say that this
would be indicative of such a state of crisis in relations or general
responsiveness from foobsd that no "designated representative"
(especially one who's already a member of foobsd-core) would change a
thing about it anyway.

In any case, that's essentially our policy as it stands now and I find
the evidence insufficiently compelling that changing it would result
in any more positive results than we're currently seeing.  Moreover,
if we could have simple *parity* with respect to our mutual policies
for committers as outlined above, I think we'd have far fewer problems
and freebsd-core, of course, stands more than ready and willing to
resolve any issues you or any other NetBSD committer may raise in the
future.  Designating a single representative is really not a necessary
component in making someone in FreeBSD more "accountable" for such
mistakes and it only creates a single point of failure should someone
attempt to contact our "delegate" during a period of unavailability.
The last thing we need is for someone to go ballistic at the lack of a
timely response, bringing us all crashing back down to here again.

I furthermore think that the policy which I've outlined is a good one
given that it's also applicable to a far greater category of potential
conflicts than copyright issues alone, I myself never having seen the
point of publicly airing *any* type of dispute between the *BSDs given
that it only hands additional ammunition to various mutual competitors
who are already more than sufficiently armed as it is, thank you.  If
we get a vote here, and I'm hoping that we're discussing your proposal
as a potential option rather than an externally imposed mandate, then
we'd prefer to vote for exercising simple common sense in the future
rather than adopting additional constraints on our communications.

Regards,

- Jordan