Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:51:03 +0200
From:      Christophe Juniet <cjuniet@entreview.com>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/41106: FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 12:17:07PM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> -Check the names of packages, from a 4.6-STABLE:
> pkg_add -rv linux-netscape6
> pkg_add -rv AbiWord
> fail.

I was not sure about these ones. I have a 4.5-RELEASE, a 4.6-STABLE and a
-CURRENT boxes and many package names have changed. What is the Right
Way to do this in the Handbook, should it refer to the last ports tree or
should I put <note>s like I did with Acrobat ?

> Browser section:
> -What about adding a little sentence giving name of light browsers like
> dillo, w3m and links...?

Well, in fact I tried to focus on a 'new user from a well known OS' point
of view. So I speak basically of existing apps on Windows or MacOS.
Maybe I misread pr/41106 but I don't think a newbie would like to use w3m
instead of Mozilla (despite the fact I often do :)

> Productivity section:
> -Maybe Koffice has his place in the section, as some apps like gnumeric,
> gnucash...

I tried not to refer to KDE or GNOME apps since they aim to be complete
desktop. Maybe they deserve their own section ?

> I'm sure you already thought about most of my remarks.

and I totally agree with the new ones you brought up to me.

Thanks for your feedback!
--
chris