Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 00:43:47 -0600 (CST)
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What printed documentation do we need?

In reply:
> On Sat, 20 Jan 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> > So, the question: which other documentation should be in paper form?
> > For a gut feel, I'd say we could handle another 1500 to 2000 pages.
>
> *Personally* (and many have differing opinions), I like printed
> documentation for
>
>  * installation
>  * dump and restore
>  * fsck
>  * disklabel
>  * newfs
>  * maybe a couple others
>
> Or, more generally, for things you rarely use and consequently forget how
> to use and, almost by definition, online documentation is unavailable when
> you need them.
>
> I've got a couple other manual pages printed out, but on the whole, I
> prefer to keep it online.  Since its birth, I've only printed out the
> Handbook once.
>
> As I said, others will have different opinions and I won't argue against
> them.
>
> -john
>
> == jfieber@indiana.edu ===========================================
> == http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============

It would be a good idea to get some of this stuff [that isn't already covered
in the BSD Bibles, the URM, USD, SMM, PRM, and PSD [ISBN 1-56592-082-1]]  in a
book for publication.  One of the reason for Linux's MARKET success is that
reference books are readily available, right down to 'Dummies Guide' type
books.

Such a book could cover a lot of the routine traffic in these lists...  Hmmm...

Maybe even with the FreeBSD distribution disk pouched in the back cover!

HMmmm...

I'm just getting tired of walking into better bookstores and finding almost
nothing but SysV and Linux crap in the unix section, Only once in the past
countless years have I seen a book SPECIFICLY geared to BSD.  Hell, you even
have to special order the 4.4BSD manuals, and wait a few weeks...

These bookstores make BSD the best kept secret in the industry!

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or