Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 13:48:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        brennan@offwhite.net (Brennan W Stehling)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: journaling fs

As I recall, Brennan W Stehling wrote:
> Are there any efforts to build a journaling filesystem for FreeBSD?  I
> have read of several for Linux, but none for FreeBSD.

There are a couple of projects underway, though I think they are
either being done in concert with the Linux guys or are planned
ports of the Linux stuff when it's completed.  Plus SGI's promise to
OpenSource its journaling file system should offer yet another path
when it happens.

> fsck is just so slow, especially when my drives tend to get so much
> larger than before.  I have a new 30 gigger and running and fsck on
> that will take a long time.  If it ever falls hard it will take
> forever to reboot.

One of the designers of UFS back at Berkeley has been working on
enhancements that should eliminate the very long fsck runs.  Perhaps
you've seen reference to "softupdates".  That's the first part of
the project, in which all the filesystem metadata (the data
concerning the data, like inodes) has been being analysed as to how
much needs to be actually kept current on the disk.  Those portions
that can be recreated from other things known about the disk are no
longer forced to "sync" on the disk.  This has made major throughput
improvements in the UFS, especially in environments where the
contents of the filesystem churn (like, /tmp).

The next part of the project is an "fsck daemon" that can run in the
background and repair filesystem structure inconsistancies.  Then,
if you have an unplanned stoppage, the disk will be usable
immediately after a reboot.  It just might have some unused space
that is not visable at first.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net