Date:      Wed, 05 Sep 2001 18:40:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Piet Delport <pjd@siberiyan.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scripts and setuid

> Tidings,

> Some background:

> Having recently discovered cdcontrol(1), and finding it useful for
> playing CDs from the console, i was in search of a way to cleanly run it
> as a non-root user.

> I initially tried playing around with the modes of /dev/acd0c and the
> /usr/sbin/cdcontrol binary, which works, but has the disadvantage of
> being overwritten whenever i "make world".

Maybe I am missing something. Surely your /dev/MAKEDEV.local doesn't work? (cf
MAKEDEV(8))

Anyway, the [device-creating &] chmod'ing commands could be put in a
two-liner, or rather, a one-liner to be executed as part of your make world.

As to user settings, this is an excerpt from my ~/.login:

# Cdcontrol(1) & mixer(8) stuff.
setenv CDROM /dev/acd0c
mixer vol 86:86 > /dev/null
mixer igain 75:75 > /dev/null