Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 21:19:48 +0100
From:      njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk (Niall Smart)
To:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net, njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk (Niall Smart)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Secure Ping 1.0]

On Jun 11,  3:01pm, Jim Bryant wrote:
> In reply:
> >
> > What you really need is resource limits for
> > sockets.
>
> mebbe limiting icmp, but can global socket limits create an unusable
> situation.  heck such limits could be imposed that would prevent
> people from doing legitimate tasks.

Show me a resource manager that this doesn't hold true for.  It's up to
the administrator to decide reasonable limits.  Besides, just limiting
ICMP would be pointless, as Robert Watson just pointed out, people can
just use UDP instead.

> whatever happened to bandwidth limiting?  an intelligent bandwidth
> limiting algorithm could detect a icmp flood and filter it's bandwidth
> down to a trickle..  other protocols could be done the same way.

Well, this exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about, except I make it
more flexible, for example it would nice to be able to specify "allow
8 megabytes outgoing traffic per day,  a peak of 4 megabytes per hour,
and a limit of 2 megabytes per day to any given host except xyz.com".

> the original "secure-ping" idea presented is useful for preventing
> abuse by the casual unix user.  anyhow, what kind of idiot keeps a
> compiler user-accessable in an untrusted environment?!

"secure-ping" and removing the compiler will only help you make your
system more secure if your users are very casual, i.e. completely brain
dead in the UNIX department, in which case you don't really fit into
the "untrusted environment" category.  Anyway, I suggest we take this
to freebsd-security.

Niall