Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 10:51:15 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@jmock.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: No index in The FreeBSD Handbook?

[moved from -questions to -doc]

Jim Mock wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Aug 2000 at 17:40:55 -0500, Oscar Ricardo Silva wrote:
>> We ordered several copies of The FreeBSD Handbook and received them
>> today.  This may be a minor thing but we noticed that there is no
>> Index at the back of the book.  Is this a mistake?  On purpose?
>
> The reason there's no index is because there aren't any index tags in
> the DocBook version of the handbook.  This is something on the Doc
> Project's todo list -- it's not a small task,

So, what exactly needs doing to get an index?  Just add some tag around
bits which should be indexed, or is there more to it than that?  (Of
course, even that would be a tedious job, but at least people writing
new text could add appropriate text if we knew what they were.)

--
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /