Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 08:53:40 +1000
From:      Richard Laxton <richard@real.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Intel EtherExpress vs DEC PCI chipsets

Hi,
I am building a quad ethernet router with FreeBSD at this moment. It is
going to be doing a lot of filtering and IP accounting but nothing else. At
the moment I am considering the following:

ASUS P55T2P4/C Motherboard
Intel Pentium 200 CPU
IDE HDD (ST52520A)
Generic ISA video
32Mb or 64Mb of RAM
4 x 10/100 Mb Ethernet cards

Now there are a few things that I would like some help with. Firstly with a
machine that is performing only routing tasks (RIP routing protiocols only)
with a *total* of maybe 10-15Mbits/sec across all ports, is there any
advantage to getting 64Mb of RAM vs 32Mb? My thought would be to go 64Mb
but accounts departmet always ask...

Secondly, Do I use Intel EtherExpress 100B TX cards or the DEC 240xx type
cards? Does either have a CPU advantage? Are there any stability issues
with either card? What are people's experiences? I have seen conflicting
reports from this list ranging from "don't get the intel" to ftp.cdrom.com
uses the intel (so it must be good).

Richard.