Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 1996 23:47:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      rdd@access.digex.net
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        rdd@digex.net
Subject:   Thanks!

Greetings,

Thanks very much for providing what appears to be a rather nice flavor
of UN*X.  Aside from SCO UNIX and XENIX (which I've tried to avoid,
except for supporting clients using those), UN*X on IBM type PC's is
something that I've not had much experience with.  Well, I did give
Linux a try, but coming from using mostly SunOS, PNX, Ultrix,
SystemVR2 and a few others over the years, Linux just didn't seem
quite right.

Faced with the need to install a flavor of UNIX for an IBM type PC
network, for an introductory course on UNIX that I'll be teaching this
coming spring, I decided to give FreeBSD another try (the last time
that I tried FreeBSD, I had some installation problems with a 4MB
system -- this works great now!).

All that I've installed thus far has been the binary files, but, so
far, I like what I see. :-) I didn't install the manpages, docs, etc.
yet due to a lack of disk space in the MS-DOS (bletch) partition,
which I need, since a CD-ROM isn't available, and I've not installed
an ethernet board yet in this PC -- I'll install those next.

One question: is there any chance that the old "learn" program will be
implemented?  That's one of the ways that I learned about
UNIX... while experimenting after the the "here are your user IDs and
passwords, if you need any help, you might want to try the man and
apropos commands -- oh, by the way, the first programming project's
due Monday.  Have a good weekend."  I think that's nicest way to learn
about UNIX. :-)

Regards,

R. D. Davis